Today I am 28 years old. Again. For the tenth time. And I love it. See, I told you 40 – 2 = 28. At least by my equation.
Up until this point I would deny my age. There was no way it was possible that I was in my mid-thirties. I was not getting older. Getting older meant mom jeans and less fierceness. This was not happening in my world.
But over the last few months something has changed. I have done lots of reflection on where I am in life and man, is it awesome. Sheer contentment is where I am.
Here are my top 28 + 10 reasons why I love being where I am in life:
- I recognize my beauty, both on the inside and outside. And I feel gorgeous.
- I embrace every choice I make – right or wrong – as without them, I wouldn’t be who I am today.
- I fill my soul with laughter.
- I don’t hang on to those who were once friends just because there was once a relationship. I invest my energy in those I get the most from.
- I have a house that is lived in. I won’t apologize for the whirlwinds of dog hair or sink full of dishes. It’s my dream home that I worked hard for.
- I can laugh when I drink too much Sauvignon Blanc followed by Jello shooters then pass out naked on the bathroom floor.
- I look at my physical imperfections as memories. I don’t have cellulite – I have art that represents a collection of good times, not saying “no” because I had already consumed too many calories that day.
- I look strangers in the eye and smile at them, hoping it may make their day a little bit better. You never know what someone else is going through.
- I curse like a trucker and don’t f*cken care.
- I put others first but I also remember to do things for me. If I don’t take care of me first, I’m no good to anyone else.
- I rock combat boots with a little black dress in the office.
- I take risks. They don’t always turn out but I have few regrets because I didn’t do something.
- I garden in bare feet and no gloves as I love connecting with the earth.
- I don’t back down when I believe in something. Passion is fire.
- I have a husband who accepts my independence and gives me the space to be creative.
- I am not an expert, nor will I ever be. I believe if you are an expert in something then you have stopped learning.
- I can admit when I am wrong and offer a sincere apology.
- I am confident and that to be is one of the hottest things about me.
- I chase my dreams.
- I don’t put up with bullshit or drama. I don’t have time for it.
- I dance like no one is watching. Even when someone is recording a video. Because sometimes you can’t give a f*ck.
- I have learned that therapy is the most precious gift one can give to themselves.
- I haven’t changed; I have only gotten better.
- I lead the lifestyle I choose, not the white picket fence once that society has painted.
- I am relaxed because I can be myself.
- I can talk about my battles including bouts with depression and anxiety. I am not ashamed of them.
- I get more from giving back to my community than the gift itself.
- I can go to bed at 8:30 on a Friday night and not worry about what I missed out on.
- I know my worth.
- I can accept a compliment but get greater satisfaction out of giving them.
- I walk around naked after showering, not worrying about my body because I know my husband loves every. single. inch of it. As do I.
- I don’t cheap out any more.
- I love nothing more than slowing down and feeling the sunshine on my face, absorbing every ray.
- I take every breath as a reminder of the joys in my life.
- I value the diversity in my life and each new learning that comes with it. Without it, it would be pretty boring.
- I wake up knowing every day is a chance to be better.
- I travel every path as every one is a new adventure.
- I know the difference between feeling alive and living. And that is best feeling ever.
So how am I going to top things this year? I’m going to learn how to fly. Figuratively at least.2